Church History

Huntingdon Presbytery granted permission for a Presbyterian Church in Milesburg on March 5, 1868.  Eighteen members from the Bellefonte Church were the nucleus of the new Church.  James Alexander and W.M. Holmes were elected and installed as the first Elders.

The first worship service was held April 12, 1868.  The first congregational meeting was held May 6, 1868 to elect trustees.  The first Sacrament of the Lord's Supper was administered September 20, 1868. Within one month the roll had grown to 30 in number.  Services were held each evening and on Sunday mornings.
 
The first pastor of the new church was Rev. W. O. Wright, who was born in Ireland and ordained in Philipsburg. He was installed on May 10, 1870. During his pastorate 190 new members were added.
 
On June 24, 1888, the original church building, a log structure located on the north side of Hazel Street, was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. There was no insurance carried at the time, yet on October 8, 1888, the Trustees bought a property with a brick house suitable for a manse, paying $2,000. A month later they completed the last payment of $900. Saved from the fire were the Bible, pulpit, organ, Communion table and a sofa and two chairs. Worship in the new sancturary began on January 10, 1892. Dedication of the completed structure was held December 19, 1896. The offering of $175.00 paid the remainder of the $3,500 total expense.

This Church has been served by a total of 13 pastors.